Tagged in , , , , and posted in Artistic

When you’re an artist, one thing you have to deal with on a constant basis is your artwork being stolen. These days, with the Internet and having your artwork online, it’s that much easier for thieves to take your work and post it anywhere else online. Not only do they take the artwork and post it to places like Facebook and wallpaper sites, they don’t bother to credit the artist – no name listed, no link back. And then, when the artist finds their artwork has been posted by someone else and they simply leave a comment letting that person know they should have asked permission before posting it and link back to the artist’s website, the thief has the audacity to call the artist rude, delete the comment, and proceed to say how grateful the artist should be to them for “sharing” their artwork. Um…excuse me?! I should thank you for taking my work without permission, and posting it on your Facebook page without links back to my site?! Are you kidding me?! But that is exactly how these people think.
Linda, from PEM’S Place (a page on Facebook that has tons of stolen artwork) actually posted that if we artists see our artwork on her Facebook page, we should just thank her for “sharing” it…and if we wanted, we could add a link back to our site so people could see more of our artwork. Um…sorry, but I’m not thanking you for stealing my artwork…and I did leave links back to my website and the artwork itself…the comment was deleted and I found myself blocked. I guess I was not grateful enough for my artwork being stolen. She has also posted a disclaimer –  that since she found the artwork online (really? I didn’t realize I posted it on my website and in online art galleries…) it falls under the public domain license. Therefore she is free to post it and use it as she wishes. And it also apparently gives her the right to treat artists like crap and ignore their requests to have the artwork removed. FYI – no artwork or photographs created by still living persons fall under public domain use unless specifically stated. Just because I upload my artwork to the World Wide Web doesn’t give anyone the right to take it, alter it, and/or publish it to their own website.
A little info on public domain:
“Here are some rules of thumb that will help you confirm the copyright status of a work:
1. If the work was published in the United States prior to 1923, it is in the public domain.
2. For works published between 1923 and March 1, 1989, it depends on whether the certain statutory formalities were observed, such as providing a notice of copyright on the work or renewing the copyright per statutory deadlines.
3. After March 1, 1989, all works (published and unpublished) are protected for 70 years from the date the author dies. For works of corporate authorship (works made for hire), the copyright term is the shorter of 95 years from publication, or 120 years from creation.” – UC Copyright
Um…I’m still very much alive…so my works certainly do not fall under public domain. And I have never published any of my works under a Creative Commons license, so my artwork is not to be taken, altered, or published by anyone without my permission. Nice try. The Fair Use act is mostly for educational and news reporting purposes and does not pertain to taking, altering, and uploading someone else’s copy-written work to your website.
These people admire the artwork, but despise the artist. It’s a very sad thing that they can say how much they love the art, but when the artist tries to communicate with them, it’s an instant shut-out. I urge any artists and photographers to check out PEM’S Place and if you find your artwork, report it to Facebook as copyright infringement. Maybe if we deplete her gallery of stolen artwork, she’ll start to get the hint.
There will always be thieves, but we can let them know we won’t stand for thievery.

20 Comments so far:

1. For me, I don’t waste my time arguing with them…it’s just not worth it. I just report the pages directly to FB or if it’s on another website, to their host.

• I should…but I’m too mouthy…lol. The thing is, I don’t mind my artwork being shared. Yes, it’s a pain when I have to deal with adding links to my artwork on someone else’s page. But so long as those links remain and the artwork is not being altered, I don’t mind my artwork there. And I do a copy/paste blurb with my links on my artwork I find, so it’s not like it takes too much more time than just reporting, since most people leave my comment with the links. It’s the rude ones that irritate me – the ones who think the artwork just magically “poofs” into being without an artist behind it.

2. So, the thieves read my blog, but are too cowardly to leave a comment and confront me. Instead they have to talk about my one spelling typo and how I start drama. Here’s a hint, don’t take what doesn’t belong to you and the drama wouldn’t ensue.
    Thanks to King Wolf, I fixed my typo. Now does anyone want to actually discuss this…or do you all want to continue to talk about me on a page that I am banned from and cannot defend myself?

• KingWolf says:

No need to Thank me you Bimbo!! Next time try to do writing once and correct or at lease draft it then write it…oh and Stay off Pem’s Place page Grow up!!!

• Considering I’m a lot smarter than you lot on PEM’S Place, a bimbo I’m certainly not.
        Oh don’t worry, my thanks isn’t sincere, it’s more of a snide remark. You can comment on my one typo, but have nothing to say about how Linda (PEM) is stealing artwork. Shows me just what kind of person you are.
        I will not stay off PEM’S Place. Until she deletes all of the artwork she has stolen, I will continually check her page to make sure she hasn’t re-uploaded any of my artwork. And if I find more of my artwork, I will once again report it to Facebook. This is what happens when you hate on the artists whose work you steal. Learn the lesson and pass it on.

3. KingWolf says:

I should…but I’m too mouthy…lol. The thing is,” I don’t mind my artwork being shared” <—Your contradicting Yourself moron!!!

Yes, it’s a pain when I have to deal with adding links to my artwork on someone else’s page. <——"THEN DON'T DO IT!!!"

But so long as those links remain and the artwork is not being altered, I don’t mind my artwork there <——-"REALLY"

.And I do a copy/paste blurb with my links on my artwork I find <——"YEA RIGHT" I BET YOU COPY OUTTA OF OTHER PEOPLES ART WORK AND THEN YOU CREAT SOMETHING OUT OF THAT EFFECT…WHO THE HELL ARE YOU FOOLING"?,

so it’s not like it takes too much more time than just reporting, <—–"YOU DON'T NEED TO REPORT NOTHING JUST DON'T POST NOTHING UP OR AT LEASE WRITE YOUR NAME ON THE ART WORK THAT YOU DO YOU IDIOT"!!!

since most people leave my comment with the links. It’s the rude ones that irritate me<—–RIGHT NOW YOU ARE THE RUDE ONE BY HARASSING PEM'S PLACE PAGE ON FACEBOOK…SO QUIT WHILE YOU AHEAD….

– the ones who think the artwork just magically “poofs” into being without an artist behind it. <——"WHY DON'T YOU "POOF" OUTTA HERE AND LEAVE OTHER TO BE THEM SELF"!!

Since I can’t post on her page anymore, I’m just going through the albums, finding my artwork, and reporting it to Facebook. <——-"YEA, GOOD LUCK ON THAT AND SHOWING PROOF THAT IS YOURSELF….WITHOUT YOUR NAME ON THE ART WORK YOU CAN'T CLAIM NOTHING"…SO, FOR EVERYBODY THAT SUPPORT PEM'S PLACE DON'T WASTE YOUR BREATH OR ENERGY CAUSE YOU GONNA END UP LOSING…AND YES, STAY OFF MY PAGE TOO…OH WAIT..I BLOCK YOUR ASS TOO….P.S YOUR ART WORK SUCKS!!! I HAVE SEEN BETTER…AND DON'T BOTHER EMAILING ME NEITHER IT WON'T WORK!! BYE LOSER!!!

• “Your contradicting Yourself moron!!!”
      It’s “you’re”…as in “you are”. If you’re going to correct my one typo, maybe you should triple check your own comments.
      Actually, no, I’m not. I like my artwork to be shared providing my name and a link to my website appear in the comments. Linda deleted the comment with my name and website link and banned me so I couldn’t add it on any more of my artwork. Therefore, I reported the work as stolen, since that is exactly what it is.

“THEN DON’T DO IT!!!”
      Well, considering it’s my artwork, I will do it, no matter how much of a pain it is. How about you create a piece of art, upload it, watch people steal it and pass it off as their own…and then sit idly by and say nothing. I challenge you.

“YEA RIGHT” I BET YOU COPY OUTTA OF OTHER PEOPLES ART WORK AND THEN YOU CREAT SOMETHING OUT OF THAT EFFECT…WHO THE HELL ARE YOU FOOLING”?
      I am not fooling anyone. I don’t care if you don’t believe this is my artwork. I know it is. No skin off my back. (And you misspelled “create”.)

“YOU DON’T NEED TO REPORT NOTHING JUST DON’T POST NOTHING UP OR AT LEASE WRITE YOUR NAME ON THE ART WORK THAT YOU DO YOU IDIOT”!!!
      Well, again, considering it’s my artwork, yes I do need to report it. Again, I challenge you to create something and sit by while your hard work is passed around without your permission. And I do sign my artwork, as well as add a watermark in the center of it. If you can’t see it, you should get your eyes checked. (And it’s “least” not “lease”. For someone who picked on my one typo, you sure have a lot of your own.)

“RIGHT NOW YOU ARE THE RUDE ONE BY HARASSING PEM’S PLACE PAGE ON FACEBOOK…SO QUIT WHILE YOU AHEAD…”
      Considering I’ve been banned from PEM’S Place from the beginning, I haven’t been harassing anyone. It’s Linda who has been harassing all the artists who try to tell her that what she is doing is illegal.

“WHY DON’T YOU “POOF” OUTTA HERE AND LEAVE OTHER TO BE THEM SELF”!!
      This is my blog…so I will not be “poofing” anywhere. If Linda wouldn’t have banned me for trying to credit my artwork, none of this would have transpired.

“YEA, GOOD LUCK ON THAT AND SHOWING PROOF THAT IS YOURSELF….WITHOUT YOUR NAME ON THE ART WORK YOU CAN’T CLAIM NOTHING”…SO, FOR EVERYBODY THAT SUPPORT PEM’S PLACE DON’T WASTE YOUR BREATH OR ENERGY CAUSE YOU GONNA END UP LOSING…AND YES, STAY OFF MY PAGE TOO…OH WAIT..I BLOCK YOUR ASS TOO….P.S YOUR ART WORK SUCKS!!! I HAVE SEEN BETTER…AND DON’T BOTHER EMAILING ME NEITHER IT WON’T WORK!! BYE LOSER!!!”
      Do you not realize that Facebook has already deleted all of my artwork from PEM’S Place because I did show them proof that the artwork is mine? My name is on all of my artwork and I’ve already claimed the artwork. Facebook has already taken action. That’s why Linda is so mad. She keeps getting notified by Facebook that more artwork has been deleted due to copyright infringement.
      I was only on your page to link back to you. Otherwise, you are wasted air. Block me all you want…no skin off my back.
      That’s nice that you don’t like my artwork (though I thought you didn’t believe it was mine). It’s not for everyone. This has been such a lovely conversation. Linda should unblock me so we can all talk like this. 🙂

4. KingWolf says:

oh, and when you write your name on your art work make sure you make it visible to others, Not in small cursive signature….

• Well obviously it’s visible if you can see it’s a small cursive signature. Unlike Linda, I don’t want my name plastered in huge letters on my artwork. The artwork is supposed to stand out, not my signature. Though I do have a watermark in the center of many of my pieces…kind of hard to miss that.
      Regardless if my name is on my work or not, it’s still illegal for anyone to take my work without my permission. Linda is breaking the law and you’re supporting her. What a great partner in crime you are.

5. Themuse says:

Thankfully I haven’t found any of my artwork on her page, but I back you up 100%. My artwork is available on my website for others to buy and use in there cardmaking Not to be shared. But I watermark all my images to make it more difficult for it to be stolen!

6. Random Artist says:

King Wolf. I’m so glad that you are this entertaining. You talk about Ravenmoons grammar and yet you don’t use commas or periods. My goodness I was laughing. Thank you for that.

As for you or your little friends not liking our work.. We don’t create our art just to please ONE person.. or a facebook page who has NO respect for the artists themselves. It’s actually because of people like your friend PEM that we have our watermarks. If facebook didn’t agree that it wasn’t ravenmoons, then the images would still be on the page.

Why don’t you and your friends do the growing up and realize that images on the web ARE NOT public domain. Public View – YES, but not public to use or to edit. if you want to share artwork, you do so in the proper way. Don’t save and repost it. It’s copyright infringement.

Also, I’d like to point out that there’s a program that you and your friends can download, it’s called Daz3d studio.. you can go to daz3d.com and you can download GIMP for free too. So that way PEM could create her OWN images and leave ours the hell alone.. (btw, editing images is infringement as well.)

Anyways thanks for the laugh. Have a great day

7. Laura Haskell says:

I DID find my work on her page, not only did she take it without permission, but she turned it a really ugly puke green color. Then when I posted it was mine and that she wasn’t free to alter it and asked her to remove it from her page, she deleted my comments, wrote that I “MAY BE” the artist and completely ignored my request to remove it.
    So her assurances that she removes work as soon as you ask her to is a lie, as is her statement that she’s being bullied while she remains the poor, pitiful, misunderstood lover and promoter of art. She didn’t link back to me, she didn’t attempt to talk to me. All she did was insult both me and my work by adding her “revisions” and reposting it.
    And seriously? I don’t care about her little turnip fan club. If anyone of those -ssclowns want to come and actually have a conversation rather than attack and run, they are more than welcome to. But just banning and talking smack about you once you can’t defend yourself? That’s the mark of a true coward—like her and all her little snarling snapping wannabe toadies.
    I’ve been on this earth a few go rounds—and I’ve seen a lot. These little trolls are just another drop of annoyance. And really? I’m kinda glad she took my choice to deal with her directly away. It just means that I don’t have to do the “polite” thing by approaching her first to not involve Facebook legal department. All I have to do now is note the link, go to their reporting page and wash my hands of this ghetto Camille.
    BTW, King Runs At The Mouth or whatever you think you are? You wrote “your” when it should have been “you’re” So attacking someone for a typo? Clean your own house up first, loser.

• Sorry to hear you’ve had issues with her, too.
      This is the same issue I’ve had with her. She says all she wants us to do is communicate with her and we’re free to post the links to our websites on our work (which is all I wanted to do in the first place). But that isn’t what she wants…she just wants the drama and the attention. Because from the get-go I did just that – I posted this little blurb on one of my pieces (she had 30 of mine total):

“Original artwork by Brandy Thomas
      This image: [link to image either at DeviantART or Renderosity]
      My FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/ravenmoondesigns
      You should be asking permission to post this artwork. You should not be taking artwork without at least linking back to the original artist. Please start sharing properly by using the SHARE link on my FaceBook page or my DeviantArt page.”

I moved on to find more of my artwork to add that blurb to (it’s my copy/paste blurb I add to any artwork of mine I find on Facebook…not just to her). Then I realized she was using the artwork as a signature tag base. So I went back to the first comment to edit it to say that I don’t want my artwork altered. That’s when I found out the comment had been deleted and my artist page (the one I commented with) banned. So I left another comment using my personal profile – “Whoa…I had commented on this earlier using my artist page. And now my comment is deleted and my page blocked. This is MY artwork. Since you’re being rude and deleting my comment attesting to the fact that it is MY artwork, I am now reporting it to FB as copyright infringement. FB will promptly remove it. I tried to be nice…but now I’m not going to be. All artwork I find that belongs to me WILL be removed by FB, as I WILL be reporting it. Have a nice day.” After finding out I was blocked for simply trying to credit my own work, it was time to get my point across more strongly. I also left a comment on some of my other pieces – “This is also MY artwork and will be reported to FB as copyright infringement. Maybe you should rethink how you treat artists…don’t steal their artwork and don’t delete their comments when they bring it to your attention. Show a little respect.”

I left a comment on her wall as well…I felt she needed to understand the gravity of the situation – “I’m curious as to why you think you can take other people’s artwork/photos without their permission, upload here as if it were yours, and then offer to put other people’s names on artwork you didn’t create and photos you didn’t take. And then when I bring it your attention that some of the artwork is mine and that you should have asked me before taking it (also known as stealing), you delete my comment and block me (I used my artist page to comment). Do you realize that what you are doing is illegal?? Not only does FaceBook prohibit it, the law does, too. So when I report all of my artwork that you have stolen to FaceBook, they WILL remove it. I would have let you keep it here, providing you left the links up that I posted and that you didn’t put anyone’s name on any of my pieces. However, now that you’re flat out ignoring the fact that you have stolen from me and many other people, you will be reported by me…and most likely by any artist that comes across their artwork on this page, as I will be sharing this page on my own profile so other artists may see if you have stolen from them. Hope you’re happy angering the artistic community. Have a nice day. :)”

She then posted on her page “If ANYONE leaves a rude comment on a photo or towards others on this page they will be blocked/banned no questions”, that she’s “SHARING (NOT selling or stealing)” the artwork and “If ANYONE sees a photo that came from their own personal album Please just say Thank You for sharing and feel free to add your sight for others to enjoy more of your work”.

I was shocked. My original comment with my links was not rude, just informative. The only reason I got a bit snarky in my other comments was because my original comment was deleted and my page banned FOR NO REASON. Really irritated now, I responded in kind to her post – “So, when I left links on one of my images back to my website and told you that you should have asked me before you took my artwork, that was considered rude?? Do you know what I consider rude? People who steal artwork (yes, what you are doing is STEALING…you did not ask my permission to post my artwork here) and then delete the comments of those whose artwork it is. THAT is rude. I have every right to tell you to remove MY artwork if I want it removed…I OWN THE COPYRIGHT TO IT, you don’t. I will NOT just thank you for stealing my artwork and move on. I’m appalled you just basically stated we should be grateful to have our artwork stolen! But anyway, I didn’t tell you to remove it, I just added my site links and told you you should be asking permission. Because YOU were rude and deleted my comment, now I DO want ALL of my artwork removed. If you don’t remove it, FaceBook will when I report it stolen. You aren’t the first person I’ve reported and I’m sure you won’t be the last. However, you are one of the rudest. The least you could do is credit the artist and link back to their site. But no, you expect us to be grateful that you are “sharing” our artwork without crediting us…and have the gall to call us rude when we try to credit ourselves. The nerve of some people. I’ll say it again, remove my artwork, or I’ll have FaceBook do it. And try to be a little more respectful to the artists whose work you admire and are taking without permission.”

Then of course, that’s when I found my personal profile was blocked. Since then, it’s been attack after attack against me and a few others on her page. The storm died down a bit, and then I found three more pieces of mine on Friday (in albums that I hadn’t seen before, so I’m guessing they were hidden). With no way to contact her because both of my profiles are blocked, I simply reported the images to Facebook. Well, Facebook corporate offices must be closed on the weekends, because the weekend was quiet. It wasn’t until yesterday that more shit hit the fan – she was alerted by Facebook that I had found and reported those last few pieces. Then the attacks by her and her followers went into full swing. She wrote that I should “simply write “MINE” under ANY photo you SAY is YOURS or THINK is YOURS I will just DELETE IT and save you the time of having to report me to FACEBOOK like a child…” (But I’m blocked…so how exactly can I comment on them??) She then sought out my DeviantART page (as well as Ilia’s) and started posting our conversations onto her page. Then she started posting the comments from this blog. Not sure why, but hey if she wants to spend all day stalking us and re-posting our conversations, I say have fun. Maybe she’s just extremely bored and lonely and this is how she finds excitement in her life.

The blocking and talking smack when we can’t defend ourselves is the worst of it, I think. It is truly the mark of a coward. I can handle dealing with the bitchiness of thieves, I’ve done it so many times (and usually they’re foreign, so there’s added difficulty with a language barrier). However, it’s a whole other ball game when we’re repeatedly attacked…but blocked so we can’t defend ourselves. That irritates me to no end.
      But I’ve come to a peace now. Let her have her fun. Let her followers have their fun. Obviously there will be no rational adult conversation with this lady. So I wash my hands of her. I will still have a look at her page now and again to make sure none of my work has gone back up, but other than that I’m done with her. I have art to create. I don’t have the time, like she apparently does, to sit in front of my computer and try to argue with someone who won’t listen to reason.

8. RedFallLeaves says:

King Wolf – you used lease many times.

Definition of Lease —
    1 [lees] Show IPA noun, verb, leased, leas·ing.
    noun
    1. a contract renting land, buildings, etc., to another; a contract or instrument conveying property to another for a specified period or for a period determinable at the will of either lessor or lessee in consideration of rent or other compensation.
    2. the property leased.
    3. the period of time for which a lease is made: a five-year lease.
    verb (used with object)
    4. to grant the temporary possession or use of (lands, tenements, etc.) to another, usually for compensation at a fixed rate; let: She plans to lease her apartment to a friend.
    5. to take or hold by lease: He leased the farm from the sheriff.

{from Dictionary.com}

Please use grammar check yourself and quit bashing others – LEAST is the word that should be used – I mean unless you meant to rent something here then that is your business.

Yes – download DAZ studio (you can get it free now) – – purchase the packages to create your own artwork. What gets me is all of the energy attacking the artist’s here could be better used being actually creative yourself and creating your own artwork! The attacking others is a clear sign that you know that it is wrong and your are trying to justify it with all of this smoke and dance to make the other (the actual artist) look bad. Wow – – so much anger coming out of you. Very sad.

• Agreed. And we all make typo errors. But if it’s going to be brought up as a means to bash someone, then the person doing the bashing had best have perfect grammar and perfect spelling themselves. Obviously this King Wolf has neither. Thank you for your comment. 🙂

9. Themuse says:

Looks like Pem’s place has been removed from facebook!

10. So, on Wednesday, March 27th Pem’s Place seems to have been taken down…either by the owner or by Facebook. I just hope it doesn’t come back…or that she didn’t abandon that page for a new one with a different name so she couldn’t be reported anymore. But if she did create a new page, I have no doubt that eventually I will stumble across it. To quote Disney, “it’s a small world, after all”. 🙂

Please leave a comment!